Thursday, March 5, 2009

Change Yourself - Yes You can do so

These words are inscribed on the tomb of an Anglican bishop in Westminster Abby (1100 A.D.).

When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed of changing the world.
As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country. But it too, seemed immovable.

As I grew into my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me, but alas, they would have none of it.

And now as I lie on my death bed, I suddenly realize: If only I had changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family.

From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country and, who knows, I may have even changed the world.

Many of our loved ones in the armed services faced tremendously frightening situations. Yet they looked past that fear and saw their purpose, knowing they might sacrifice their lives.

It is humbling to honor those brave people who made the ultimate sacrifice, never wavering in their purpose to preserve freedom.

Memorial Day is also a remembrance of personal friends and relatives who have helped to shape our lives. I was fortunate to have had parents and teachers who taught courage and perseverance. They taught by how they lived more than by words. I'm sure you remember folks like that also.

Life situations will many times trigger fear. Obstacles will arise, and clouds will temporarily hide the sunshine of brighter days and easier times. At some point, our "mental toughness" and inner strength will be tested.

Obstacles and tribulations can make us bitter, or they can make us better. They can leave us filled with regret, or they can strengthen our determination and faith. It's up to us to choose which it will be.

When challenges appear, remember those who have inspired you. Recall those who lived with courage and strength of purpose, and perhaps gave their lives defending your freedom to reach for your dreams.

We can remain steadfast to our purpose by realizing that we are not our fears. Instead we can observe those fears and see past them to accomplish great things in the service of mankind.

1 comment:

  1. Really "We can remain steadfast to our purpose by realizing that we are not our fears. Instead we can observe those fears and see past them to accomplish great things in the service of mankind."

    txxxx for tht nice teaching

    from
    Shantala
    homesiderose@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete